Monday, September 20, 2010

Where do I begin?

September 20, 2010

The title of this post says it all...where do I begin? My task is to design a writing center for a newly created 7-10 urban school. (The school will expand to 11 and then 12 in the next two years). Although I've been intrigued with the idea of on-site writing centers for the past ten years, I've never had the opportunity to actually be a part of one or be in a school where an active one was in operation. What I know is that students benefit in all area of their literacy lives through the tutoring support that a writing center can supply. And I want to offer the opportunity to this school.

It's now the third week of classes, and I'm just getting a feel for my new space (inside and outside the school). Since this site merges a former middle school with a small portion of a former high school, there have been many logistical pieces that needed to be put in place in order for that to happen. The major upheaval has been moving all teachers, SmartBoards, computers and materials from the middle school site to the high school site. As you can see from the photo of my space today, The Write Place is still the wrong place for students to visit. But, things are looking up...last week, I was told it would be another month before I could use the room and yet, when I arrived today, the large equipment had been moved and even as I worked in a cleared off corner of the room, staff came and retrieved pieces for other programs.

Now my anxiety can switch from acquiring the room to how to accommodate teachers and students!

No comments:

Post a Comment